Installing and running LibreOffice on MacOS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

People have reported problems getting LibreOffice to work with MacOS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), due to the actions of Apple’s new GateKeeper. Italo Vignoli has written an explanation of the problem and a guide to help you get it to work. You can read it here.

Posted in Installation
6 comments on “Installing and running LibreOffice on MacOS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
  1. arlyn says:

Been unsuccessul in attempts to install LibreOffice 4.1.3 on a iMac with OS X 10.8.5. When I try to install the download I get a message: “There is no application set to open the document”. Any suggestions?

• Jean says:

The file you downloaded should be a .dmg (disk image). Do other .dmg files install as they should? If it isn’t a .dmg, then what does it say it is?

• arlyn says:

The downloaded file is a .dmg.torrent. Should the “.torrent” be deleted and then try to install? At this time I don’t know if modifying the file name is an option.

• Jean says:

Try that, removing the .torrent and then try to install. I’ve never used a torrent, so am unsure how to deal with them. Should work, but if that fails, you could try downloading the .dmg directly, using the long link at the top of the download button. It may not be obvious that’s actually a link.

• arlyn says:

Jean, I went to the LibreOffice site once more. This time it downloaded without the .torrent. I hae now successfully installed the software as well as wrote and printed a test document. This is the culmination of five days of trying to install it. Thank you very much for your help. Without it I would never have thought of eliminating that troublesome extension.

• Jean says:

Glad to hear it’s now working for you, and that I was able to help.